Emory Healthcare continues to restrict all visitors in hospitals and clinics
Woodruff Health Sciences Center | May 4, 2020
ATLANTA – As Emory Healthcare responds to the COVID-19 pandemic, we continuously evaluate and adjust our policies and procedures to prioritize patient and staff safety. These adjustments are necessary as we gradually expand services to include additional time sensitive and essential care.
Effective Monday, May 4, Emory Healthcare will continue restricting all visitors within its hospitals and clinics with the following updates.
Updated exceptions include:
- Obstetrics (Labor and delivery): Obstetric patients may have one visitor who must be the same visitor throughout the patient’s stay.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU): NICU patients may have one visitor who must be the same visitor throughout the patient’s stay.
- End of Life: Patients at the end of life, or patients being evaluated for and/or receiving hospice care, may have two visitors.
- Minors: All minors, patients under the age of 18, will be allowed one visitor for the duration of their visit or hospitalization.
- Outpatient Surgery and Procedures: Patients undergoing outpatient surgery or procedures may have one visitor to assist with arrival and registration only. This visitor must leave the facility during the procedure and will be contacted by phone once the procedure has ended.
- Outpatient Appointments: Patients may have one visitor if they need physical assistance transporting to an appointment or if they need support for cognitive or behavioral impairments (including, but not limited to, Power of Attorney).
- Inpatient Hospitalizations: Patients undergoing inpatient surgery or being admitted to the hospital may have one visitor to assist with arrival and registration only. This visitor will be asked to leave the building during the procedure and for the remainder of the inpatient hospitalization, unless an alternate exception is applicable. Visitors and/or caregivers will be kept informed through telephone and virtual communications. One visitor will be allowed the same day of a patient’s discharge for discharge planning and education.
- Emergency Department: No visitors allowed. Limited exceptions for minors and patients requiring cognitive or behavioral assistance.
All visitors will be required to wear a mask while in our hospitals and clinics. We are asking all visitors to bring a mask if they have one. Visitors will continue to be screened for symptoms of COVID-19 upon arrival to our facilities, and daily if they are staying within our facilities. No visitors under age 16 will be allowed.
For more information, access the updated Emory Healthcare Visitor Policy.
Emory Healthcare is committed to continually monitoring and evaluating the COVID-19 situation and will continue to act in the best interest of our patients and employees. We thank our patients and their loved ones for their understanding as we work to ensure a safe environment for our patients and our workforce.