Executive vice president searches launched
Emory Report | Oct. 13, 2016
Emory has the opportunity to appoint new leaders in two of its three executive vice president positions, both of which are essential to accomplishing the University’s mission. President Claire E. Sterk has charged a search advisory committee for the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs (EVPAA) and one for the executive vice president for business and administration (EVPBA).
“These search advisory committees have a rare opportunity to identify candidates for key senior leadership roles that will be essential to further advancing our ambition towards academic excellence,” Sterk says. “I am looking forward to the recommendations of candidates who will enable the University to reach its great promise and bold ambition.”
The provost search advisory committee — co-chaired by professors Carol Anderson and Carlos del Rio — will work with search consultants from Heidrick & Struggles to identify a slate of experienced candidates for Emory’s seventh provost and chief academic officer.
The committee will identify and interview applicants throughout the fall and early spring semesters and present three or four final candidates to the president, with the expectation that Emory’s next provost will be identified in the early spring. As the provost search evolves, the search for the dean of Emory College of Arts and Sciences will be launched with the hope that this leader will be identified before the summer of 2017.
Chaired by Steve Sencer, Emory's senior vice president and general counsel, the search advisory committee for the EVPBA will work with Neumann Executive Search to identify qualified and dedicated candidates for Emory’s chief business and administrative role.
The EVPBA oversees all business, financial and administrative units of the University such as Campus Services, Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Internal Audit and Investment Management. This committee also will present three or four candidates to the president. The timeline will be similar to that of the provost search, with the expectation that the EVPBA appointment will be announced during the spring 2017 semester.
Provost advisory search committee
- Carol Anderson (Samuel Candler Dobbs Professor and chair, African American Studies, Emory College of Arts and Sciences)
- Carlos del Rio (Rollins Professor and chair, Hubert Department of Global Health, Rollins School of Public Health)
- Peter Barnes (interim EVP for business and administration)
- Henry Bayerle (associate professor, classical languages, Oxford College; president-elect, University Senate; and chair-elect, University Faculty Council)
- Chris Beck (professor of pedagogy, biology, Emory College of Arts and Sciences; president, Emory College Faculty Senate)
- Nancy Bliwise (professor of pedagogy, psychology, Emory College of Arts and Sciences; associate vice provost, academic planning)
- Yolanda Cooper (university librarian)
- Isabel Garcia 99L (former president, Emory Alumni Board; former member, Emory Law School Alumni Board; former member, University Senate)
- Andra Gillespie (director, James Weldon Johnson Institute; associate professor, political science, Emory College of Arts and Sciences)
- James B. Hughes (associate dean for academic affairs, associate professor, School of Law)
- Erika James (John H. Harland Dean, professor of organization and management, Goizueta School of Business)
- Jaffar Khan (vice chair, neurologic education, and associate professor, neurology: neuromuscular, School of Medicine; past-president, University Senate; past chair, University Faculty Council)
- Jon Lewin (EVP for health affairs; firector, Woodruff Health Sciences Center; president, CEO, and chairman of the board, Emory Healthcare)
- David Lynn (Asa Griggs Candler Professor of Chemistry and Biology, Emory College of Arts and Sciences)
- Kathy Rohrer (trustee; chair, Academic Affairs Committee of the Emory Board of Trustees; alumna, Emory College)
- Max Zoberman (president, Student Government Association)
EVPBA search committee
- Steve Sencer (senior vice president, general counsel)
- Mike Andrechak (chief university budget officer and vice provost)
- Kimberly Jacob Arriola (associate dean, academic affairs; professor, behavioral science and health education, Rollins School of Public Health)
- Carol A. King (chief business officer, Emory College of Arts and Sciences)
- Jon Lewin (EVP for health affairs; director, Woodruff Health Sciences Center; president, CEO and chairman of the board, Emory Healthcare)
- Jan Love (dean and professor of Christianity and world politics, Candler School of Theology)
- Robert Schapiro (dean and Asa Griggs Candler Professor of Law, School of Law)