Registration under way for annual Winship Win the Fight 5K
Emory Report | July 18, 2014
"There is no better way to spend a beautiful fall morning than on campus in support of cancer research," says Walter J. Curran, Jr., MD, executive director of Winship. "We invite runners and walkers to become 'Winship Warriors' and help us beat cancer. Our 'Sleep-In Warriors' who can't join us on race day can also donate to the cause and be recognized."
A qualifier for the Peachtree Road Race, the Winship 5K begins and ends at Emory's McDonough Field and follows a course through the Druid Hills neighborhood. Bib and timing chip pickup starts at 7 a.m. and the run/walk steps off at 8:30 a.m.
"Sleep-in warriors" pay no registration fees and do not receive an event t-shirt, but can make personal donations or lead a fundraising team. "Walk/jog warriors" pay $30 registration and receive a dry-fit event shirt. "Run warriors" pay $35 to register and receive both a t-shirt and a timing chip. Race participants are encouraged to raise $250; donations over the registration fees are tax-deductible.
Participants can register as individuals or as part of a team, and volunteers are also needed for the event. Online registration closes on Sept. 22, which is also the last day to get a timing chip, but in-person registration will be available on campus on Sept. 24 or before the race on Sept. 27.
Race organizers hope to raise $500,000 to support Winship research. Race participants can earmark donations to benefit specific cancer research in 18 different areas:
- Winship Director's Fund
- Winship Bone Marrow Transplant Fund
- Winship Brain Tumor Fund
- Winship Glenn Family Breast Center Fund
- Winship Colon & Rectal Cancer Fund
- Winship Genitourinary (Bladder & Kidney) Oncology Fund
- Winship Gynecological (Ovarian, Endometrial, & Cervical) Oncology Fund
- Winship Head & Neck Cancer Fund
- Winship Leukemia Fund
- Winship Lung Cancer Fund
- Winship Lymphoma Fund
- Winship Melanoma & Skin Cancer Fund
- Winship Multiple Myeloma Fund
- Winship Ocular (Eye) Oncology Fund
- Winship Pancreatic & Liver Oncology Fund
- Winship Phase I Clinical Trials Fund
- Winship Prostate Cancer Fund
- Winship Sarcoma Fund