Materials from Candler's former home get a second life
By Mary Loftus | Emory Magazine | Aug. 7, 2013
Illustration by Laura Coyle
Candler School of Theology called the stately Bishops Hall, built in 1957, home for more than five decades. But the building had outlived its usefulness and was unable to be efficiently modernized.
Since 2008, Candler has occupied the recently named Rita Anne Rollins Building, which is LEED-Silver certified by the US Green Building Council, and which also houses Emory's Center for Ethics.
Bishops Hall, which sat just to the north of Cannon Chapel, was torn down during spring break this year to make way for Candler's second building, made possible by a $15 million gift from the O. Wayne Rollins Foundation.
The new building, expected to open in 2014, will contain Pitts Theology Library and the Wesley Teaching Chapel and will be connected to the Rita Anne Rollins Building with a glass atrium. It will also be built for LEED certification.