Staff Fest will include fitness, fun and food-tasting
By Leslie King | Emory Report | May 14, 2013
Staff Fest 2013 is Friday, May 17, and this year's event has some new features. The annual celebration of Emory employees will be held from 1-3 p.m. on the Quad.
"Staff Fest is a chance for all of us to take a break from our busy workday, celebrate our achievements for the past year, and enjoy time with our co-workers," says Del King, associate vice president, Human Resources.
The Employee Council made a suggestion for a staff talent showcase and as a result, Becky Herring, events manager for the Schwartz Center and Emory alumna, will be performing. "The song I'll be singing is 'Alone' by the band, Heart," says Herring. "It's my karaoke standard," adding that '80's power ballads are her specialty and interest.
"It will be a fun and creative way to kick off Staff Fest," Herring says, "because I'll be performing right after President [James W.] Wagner speaks at 1:15 p.m. He's a tough act to follow but I think I'm up to the challenge!"
America To Go, Emory's new online catering vendor, will offer small, bite-sized samples from a variety of their local restaurant and catering providers. Participants can sample foods from America To Go's partner restaurants while quantities last.
The main event, held in the afternoon, will have refreshments of drinks, popcorn and ice cream and will include familiar activities:
- Volleyball Tournament. Refereed games will take place from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- Emory Central, showcasing the University's programs and resources. Many of the booths will have games, door prizes and giveaways.
- Green screen photos, a new feature this year.
- Interactive games and activities, including basketball hoop shot, a rock-climbing wall and caricature artists.
Morning events include:
- Volunteer service. This year, the Employee Council is sponsoring an opportunity with MedShare, a nonprofit that redistributes medical supplies and equipment to underserved countries, from 9 a.m. to noon. Carpools are being arranged.
- Fun Run/Fun Walk. Participants meet at the Clifton Road entrance to Lullwater Park. The two-mile run starts at 10 a.m.; the one-mile follows at 10:30 a.m.
Visit the Staff Fest website to sign up for any of the activities listed above.
In the event of rain, the celebration will move to the lower level terrace of the Dobbs University Center, for refreshments only.
Staff Fest T-shirts, featuring the 2013 theme "One Emory, One Community, One World," are on sale now in the Dobbs University Center and the 1599 Building lobby. Prices start at $7 and color choices are blue or gold.
Human Resources reminds employees that Staff Fest is for current staff and retirees only. Family members will not be admitted.