Expert: Barbara Rothbaum
Barbara Olasov Rothbaum, PhD, is a professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and director of the Trauma and Anxiety Recovery Program at Emory University School of Medicine. Rothbaum is also the School of Medicine's Associate Vice Chair of Clinical Research.
Rothbaum is a clinical psychologist who specializes in research on the treatment of individuals with anxiety disorders, focusing in particular on Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). She is a pioneer in the application of virtual reality exposure therapy to the treatment of psychological disorders.
Rothbaum has served as a Blue Ribbon Panel Member for Pentagon officials since 2009 and was a consultant to the Department of Defense following the shooting at Ft. Hood, Texas. She was recently appointed to the committee for the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) Study on Assessment of Ongoing Efforts in the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Author of over 200 scientific papers and chapters, Rothbaum has published four books on the treatment of PTSD and edited two others on anxiety. Rothbaum received the Diplomate in Behavioral Psychology from the American Board of Professional Psychology. She has served on the Board of Directors and as past president of the International Society of Traumatic Stress Studies (ISTSS). She has also served as Associate Editor of The Journal of Traumatic Stress.
Rothbaum is highly sought after by both print and broadcast media for her expertise on stress, anxiety and trauma issues.
404-727-9371 (Robin Reese, media relations) office
More on Barbara Rothbaum »
No recent stories are available.
Past Media »
- ABC News - "How Can Exercise Or Lifestyle Help My Anxiety Disorder?"
- ABC News - "Is Yoga Or Meditation Therapy Helpful For My Anxiety Disorder?"
- ABC News - "What Are The Symptoms Of Agoraphobia?"
- The Atlantic - "Even If We Could Erase Bad Memories, Should We?"
- CNN - "Treating trauma victims may cause its own trauma"
- MedicineNet - "Treating Anxiety with Virtual Reality Exposure"
- PBS - "Understanding PTSD"
- Selfhelp Magazine - "Virtual Reality Technique Helps with Fear of Flying"
- Veterans Today - "House Committee Investigates How to Connect Injured Veterans with Innovative Treatment"
- WebMD - "Panic Attack Isn't Cowardice"